Connect with us

Uncategorized

Just In: Atiku campaign team gives condition for presidential debate

Published

on

The presidential candidate of the People’s Democratic Party, PDP, Atiku Abubakar, will only participate in the presidential debate slated for today if President Muhammadu Buhari attends, a campaign spokesperson has said.

Mr Abubakar, who travelled to the United States on Thursday, is expected back in Nigeria today– Saturday.

However, a spokesperson of the Atiku Campaign Organisation, Kassim Afegbua said by phone on Saturday, “If Buhari is not attending, he (Atiku) is not going to attend because that is the real debate”.

Other sources in his campaign team said he might still participate if he returns to the country before the time for the debate.

Mr Abubakar, a former vice president, is seen as the main challenger of the ruling All Progressives’ President Buhari in next month’s presidential polls.

Mr Buhari and Mr Abubakar are among five presidential candidates expected to sell themselves to Nigerians during the presidential debate organised by the Nigerian Election Debate Group and the Broadcasting Organisation of Nigeria ahead of the general elections.

The debate will start at 7pm at the Congress Hall of the Transcorp Hilton Hotel, Abuja.

Apart from the duo, other candidates shortlisted for the debate are those of the Allied Congress Party of Nigeria, Oby Ezekwesili; Alliance for New Nigeria, Fela Durotoye; and the Young Progressives Party, Kingsley Moghalu.

The running mates of the candidates all participated in their own debate held last month.

The Presidency did not confirm if Mr Buhari will attend the debate.

Calls and text massages sent to the president’s Senior Special Assistant on Media and Publicity, Shehu Garba, were not responded to.

However, there are indications Mr Buhari may not attend the debate. His party, APC, hinted this week that there was nothing special about the debate.

Lanre Issa-Onilu, the party’s national publicity secretary said the president may choose not to attend if he feels there are other viable options through which he can engage Nigerians.

On Wednesday Mr Buhari, and his deputy, Yemi Osinbajo, appeared at a town hall discussion forum organised by Daria media, in partnership with the Nigerian Television Authority. They took questions from Kadaria Ahmed – the anchor of the event.

Ahead of the presidential elections in 2015 when Mr Buhari was the main challenger to the then President Goodluck Jonathan, a similar debate was organised.

Mr Buhari boycotted the event. His argument then was that there was no basis for debate since the record of the PDP and Mr. Jonathan in government was public knowledge.

Advertisement
Comments

Uncategorized

BREAKING: High Court grants El-Zakzaky leave to travel

Published

on

Kaduna State High Court has granted leader of Islamic Movement in Nigeria (IMN), Sheikh Ibraheem El-Zakzaky leave to travel abroad for medical attention.

Details Shortly…

Continue Reading

Uncategorized

“Passage of life pension Bill, a desperate coup against Bayelsa people”—Group

Published

on

A group, the Bayelsa Against Eelection Violence Initiative (BAEVI) has kicked against the recent passage by the Bayelsa State House of Assembly of a bill to provide for monthly lifetime pension for its members, describing the action as a desperate coup against the people. 

According to the group, the presentation of same to Governor Henry Seriake Dickson for assent is the height of legislative rascality and desperation and, to say the least, an economic coup against the state.

The group, the Bayelsa Against Eelection Violence Initiative (BAEVI),in a statement issued  yesterday in Yenagoa, said the passage of this repugnant bill at a time when government has consistently screamed blue murder over dwindling state income and rising liabilities,” speaks to a clear lack of moral compass on the part of our reprentatives to put the public good first in all things and ensure the equitable and beneficial use of scarce state resources.”

The group, in the statement, signed by its President, Hon. Preye Johnbull and Secretary, Egba Father,  the doctrine of the fruit of the poisoned tree readily comes to mind here and renders nugatory the veiled, surreptitious attempt to endanger the public interest. If the tree is poisoned, it’s fruit can by no means be sweet but bitter. A good motive for committing a crime doesn’t necessarily absolve the culprit of the guilt and consequences.”

“The truth is that Bayelsa legislators are already comparatively sufficiently provided for under the subsisting remuneration package, and there is no need whatsoever to add a lifetime pension to sweeten the deal and enhance their exit package when the state civil servants are hardly well catered for, unemployment rate is hitting the roof and the lack of critical infrastructure such as power and industrial expansion has stifled development and brought the state practically to its knees. What with the backlog of gratuities of retirees and unpaid salaries of local government workers.”

“If the legislators strongly feel that they deserve to be included in monthly pensions then by the same token they must pass social security laws to enhance the welfare of the unemployed, physically challenged, bursary allowances and scholarships funding for tertiary students, the widows, single parents and all economically disadvantaged segment of the population.”

“The heightened social tension resulting from this melodramatic theatre of the absurd is  steadily building to a deafening crescendo and Governor Seriake Dickson must, without bathing an eyelid, throw this putrefying bill to where it rightly belongs; the stinking dustbin of history.”

“Unless something is done urgently to reverse this mindless rape of our commonwealth, the unsettling equal and opposite reaction could be that Bayelsans could be forced to take to the streets to register their displeasure and deploy every legitimate means to ensure its abrogation.”

Continue Reading

Uncategorized

Breaking: NJC Approves Buhari’s Request To Extend Tenure Of Acting CJN Tanko Muhammad

Published

on

The National Judicial Council (NJC), has approved President Muhammadu Buhari’s request to extend the tenure of the Acting Chief Justice of Nigeria (CJN), Justice Tanko Muhammad.

The council in a statement by its Director Information, Soji Oye, stated that the approval followed several deliberations during a meeting which was held last week Thursday.

Mr Oye noted that contrary to reports that the NJC was going to meet next week on the extension of Justice Muhammad’s tenure, the council, however, meet on April 18, 2019, which resolved to the approval of his extension.

“The attention of the National Judicial Council has been drawn to an online newspaper and daily newspaper Report stating that the Council would meet next week to deliberate on the extension of the Acting Appointment of Honourable Dr Justice I. T. Muhammad CFR, as the Acting Chief Justice of Nigeria.

“Contrary to the above, the Council actually met on Thursday 18th April 2019 and at the 88thMeeting considered and approved the request of President Muhammadu Buhari, GCFR, for the extension of the Appointment of Hon. Dr Justice I. T. Muhammad, CFR, as the Acting Chief Justice of Nigeria for another three (3) months and Council has since forwarded its approval to the President”.

Continue Reading

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

Advertisement

ADVERTISEMENT

Registration for Makeup and Gele training is ongoing for the following categories: *Beginners to Professional Training (5 Weeks) *Advanced Classes (2 weeks) *Personal Training (2 weeks) For further enquiries, please Call or WhatsApp: 08034695299

IN THE NEWS