Popular Nollywood actor, Leo Mezie, is currently down with a kidney ailment.
Earlier in July 2016, word got out that the actor was down with kidney-related disease.
The news came barely a month after popular Nigerian music producer, OJB Jezreel, passed on. The latter died three years after he underwent a kidney transplant.
In 2016, Leo Mezie shared his account details and welcomed contributions while his colleagues rallied round to raise the over 60,000 pounds required to carry out a transplant.
But they were only able to raise N1.2 million in one month; a far cry from the total sum required. Mezie would later announce that Johnson Suleman of Omega Fire Ministries sponsored his medical trip and treatment in London.
He also announced that he was advised not to go for a transplant.
In a new development, the actor, who became popular after his role in the 2003 movie, ‘Labista’, has said he currently needs N20 million to undergo a kidney transplant as soon as possible.
Tony Mezie, the actor’s younger brother, confirmed the development in an interview on Sunday in Lagos.
He said, “Leo is currently receiving dialysis treatment at a Lagos hospital. The ailment resurfaced when he went to the United Kingdom for checks last year. A relapse occurred about 11 months ago and we are doing our best to ensure that he gets urgent medical attention.
“He undergoes dialysis thrice a week, and one session cost about N45, 000. Leo needs a minimum of N20m to undergo treatment and transplant.”
Tony also informed this newspaper that the Actors Guild of Nigeria is spearheading his brother’s fundraiser.
He also added that the general overseer of Mercy Land Deliverance Ministry in Warri, Delta state, Jeremiah Fufeyi, a prophet, donated N3 million towards his brother’s medical treatment on March 31.
He said the cleric made the donation at an event in his church.
Nollywood actors, Chinwe Owoh, Kanayo O. Kanayo, and AGN president, Emeka Rollas, were present at the occasion.
Tony also said donations can be made to his brother through his personal GTBank account with number 0125346916.
US Rapper Nicki Minaj to perform in Saudi Arabia
US rapper Nicki Minaj will perform in Saudi Arabia this month, organisers said, triggering a storm on social media as the ultra-conservative kingdom loosens decades-old restrictions on entertainment.
Minaj, known for her profanity-laced lyrics and raunchy music videos, will perform in the western city of Jeddah on July 18, organisers of the ongoing Jeddah Season cultural festival announced on Twitter on Tuesday.
The headline act, to be televised on MTV, will also feature British musician Liam Payne and American DJ Steve Aoki, local media reported.
“She (Minaj) is going to be actively on her social media, she’ll be posting right from the stage in Jeddah and at her hotel in Jeddah,” Robert Quirke, an event organiser, was quoted as saying by the Arab News daily.
“Everyone is going to know that Nicki Minaj has landed in Saudi Arabia.”
The performance in the kingdom, which forbids alcohol and has a strict social code, comes as Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman pursues a sweeping liberalisation drive that has led to new cinemas, concerts and sporting extravaganzas.
The news was widely welcomed in a country where two-thirds of the population is under 30, with one Twitter user posting a picture of Minaj and writing: “My dream has come true”.
But it also triggered outrage from conservative quarters.
“She is going to go and shake her backside and all her songs are about sex… and then everyone tells me to wear the abaya. What the hell!” one woman said in a video posted on Twitter.
Saudi Arabia is boosting entertainment that allows citizens to have fun, in what some see as an attempt to blunt public frustration over an economic downturn and high youth unemployment.
The kingdom’s General Entertainment Authority said it plans to pump $64 billion into the sector in the coming decade.
The reform also stems partly from an economic motive to boost domestic spending on entertainment as the kingdom has reeled from low oil prices.
Saudis currently splurge billions of dollars annually to see films and visit amusement parks in neighbouring tourist hubs like Dubai and Bahrain.
While Saudi Arabia is yet to offer tourist visas, the country has fast-tracked electronic permits for international visitors to attend such festivals to further boost revenue.
But such acts have fuelled controversy in a country still steeped in conservatism.
In June last year, Saudi Arabia sacked the head of its entertainment authority, following an online backlash against a circus featuring women wearing skintight leopards.
TY Bello Recounts Being Sexually Abused As A 7-Year-Old
Prominent Nigerian photographer and singer, TY Bello has taken to social media to share her personal experience as a rape victim.
Her revelation is coming amid the trending rape allegation trailing the global senior pastor of Commonwealth of Zion Assembly (COZA), Pastor Biodun Fatoyinbo. Busola Dakolo, the wife of Nigerian singer, Timi Dakolo made the allegations in a tell-all interview with Chude Jideonwo, for YNaija TV.
In a lengthy post she shared on Instagram, the mother of two revealed she was sexually abused at a younger age and she had struggled to keep silent for so long.“I remember how the silence I had to keep after the abuse slowly killed me. I also remember the relief I found in my relationship God so early.
That really was my rescue ..yet for decades I could never find my voice on the matter .. I was still afraid ..Mostly because I felt it may have been the fault of my seven-year-old self .. somehow… Fast forward .. almost thirty years later ..I knew better .. and was ‘big’ enough.
“I understood the importance of stepping up when it was time to share my story .. and ..I did in my @kemiadetiba ‘s #kingwomen interview .. it surprised me, however, how hard it was to talk about sexual abuse after so many years .. but it was such a relief . But soon after came the resistance.
“In sharing ..I faintly began tasting the shame again .. that same feeling of naked ‘dirtiness ‘’ I had as a child .. it hadn’t completely gone away. It also became clear .. that real stories of sexual abuse still sounded like NOVELTY. I saw headline after headline even in broken English .. this my ‘confession ‘.that ‘ Dem ‘SPOIL ‘ me when I be small pikin’..
“It didn’t feel good that it was so ‘sensational’ as I was aware of how massive a plague this was ..WE CLEARLY ARE NOT TALKING ENOUGH ..too many children sexually abused .. too many sex crimes ..especially now .. right under our noses.
“I had to push past the inner conflict that talking about it was ‘unnecessary’ … it was too long ago ..too ‘Oyinboish ‘to discuss publicly .. ‘. ‘Then of course ..that talking about it now would make it seem like my family failed me as a child .. but they didn’t .. and could never have known .. I had mastered SILENCE !they were victims too.
“Every abuse story is different but it is a SHAME that makes them complicated.
“Sadly, the shame hardly lies with the perpetrators. So I’ve learned that it’s time to nail shame right where it belongs ..Far away from the wronged .. Bringing them instead to healing, justice, and freedom.
“We must teach every child the power of their voices. Apparently, we must teach adults too … and more importantly we must learn to listen .. understand and know that Sex is not a dirty word .. but DENIAL is …”
It would be recalled that Bello had also shared her experience with Kemi Adetiba on her notable ‘King Woman’ series.
Some other celebrities who have shared their molestation and rape stories include OAP Dotun and author Chika Unigwe
Femi Kuti, others to perform at the 2019 AFCON opening ceremony
The Organising Committee of the 2019 Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON) has announced that Nigeria’s legendary Afro-beat singer Femi Anikulapo-Kuti will perform at the opening ceremony of the competition.
Kuti, a four-time Grammy award nominee will be joined by two other musicians Hakim from Egypt and Dobet Gnahore from Ivory Coast.
The 2019 AFCON is set to kick off with the new expanded 24 teams on Friday in Egypt, it will be precided with a colourful opening ceremony.
In a post on CAF’s official Twitter handle, the continental football body confirmed that Femi would perform the official song for this year’s AFCON alongside Hakim and Gnahore.
The Afrobeat singer will perform in English, while Hakim and Gnahore perform in Arabic and French respectively.
The three international musicians will sing “Metgamaeen” (We Are Together) produced by Synergy together on stage in Cairo, Egypt.
Femi had previously performed at the Opening Ceremony of the 2010 World Cup in South Africa at the Soccer City Stadium on June 11, 2010 in Johannesburg.
Host, Egypt will play Zimbabwe in the opening match while the Super Eagles will take on debutants Burundi in their opening fixture on Saturday.
The 2019 AFCON will hold from June 21 to July 19