Connect with us

NEWS

Several terrorists killed in major military onslaught of Boko Haram’s strongholds

Published

on

Several Boko Haram terrorists were in Friday killed by troops attached to Operation LAFIYA DOLE and 7 Division Nigerian Army during a major and simultaneous onslaught of insurgents’ hideouts in Borno State.

The troops- 121, 192 Battalions, 212 Tank Battalion and 177 Taskforce Battalion in simultaneous operations codenamed Hard Strike, had unleashed offensive against the terrorists at Surdewalla, Ranwa, Baladayo, Sabon Gari, Shetimeri, Ranwa 11, Gajigana, Mboa, Mboa-Kura, Yarchida, Bombula, Tshata and Bamzir and Furfur villages.

According to a statement by army spokesman Sagir Musa, a Colonel, the troops completely cleared most of the villages and also stopped the terrorists from infiltrating Gajigana town.

He said the operations were carried out in collaboration with the Civilian Joint Taskforce, adding that an AK47 rifle, three magazines, 50 rounds of 7.62mm special ammunition and a magazine bandollier were recovered from Furfur.

Musa said: “Troops of 121 and 192 Battalions of Operation LAFIYA DOLE in collaboration with Civilian JTF and local vigilantes, had on May 10 continued with clearance operations to end Boko Haram terrorism.

“Consequently, the troops effectively cleared Surdewalla, Ranwa, Baladayo, Sabon Gari and Shetimeri villages of Borno State. At Ranwa 11, contact was made with the terrorists, three of them were neutralized, while many were obviously wounded and others escaped.

“Simultaneously, troops of 192 Battalion advanced along Sabon Gari and Shetimeri villages where they cleared a scout of Boko Haram terrorists. A make shift shelter for suspected insurgents was destroyed.

“The same Friday, based on credible intelligence, troops of 212 Tank Battalion under the operational command of 7 Division Garrison deployed at Forward Operation Base (FOB) Gajigana ambushed terrorists attempting to infiltrate Gajigana town/troops’ location. Uncomfirmed number of terrorists were exterminated.

“Two soldiers were wounded during the encounter, are stable and receiving treatment in a military hospital.

“Additionally, 177 Task Force Battalion in collaboration with the Civilian JTF cleared Mboa, Mboa-Kura, Yarchida, Bombula, Tshata and Bamzir villages. At Furfur village, troops had exchanged fire with BHTs which led to the death of a terrorist and recovery of one AK47 rifle, three magazines, 50 rounds of 7.62mm special ammunition and one magazine bandollier.

“There was no casualty on the troops or the Civilian JTF.

“The General Officer Commanding 7 Division Major General Abdulmalik Bulama Biu, while on assessment visit to FOB Gajigana, enjoined the troops to remain decisive and intensify efforts in eliminating the remnants of the terrorists.

“He also conveyed the commendation of the Chief of Army Staff to them and the entire troops of the Theatre Command for the latest successes in the fight against terrorism.

“Nigerian Army uses this medium to thank those who provided the information that led to the recent successes achieved so far, and urged members of the public to continue to be more forthcoming with useful information about the terrorists in their respective localities.”

Advertisement
Comments

NEWS

NUC, NYSC to block ‘fake’ foreign-trained graduates from service

Published

on

The National Universities Commission (NUC), in collaboration with the National Youth Service Corps (NYSC), on Tuesday said it had put measures in place to block fake foreign-trained graduates from partaking in the compulsory one-year national service.

The NUC said it would continue to ensure the credibility of certificates issued by Nigerian universities and block fake foreign-trained graduates coming into the country.

Its Executive Secretary, Prof. Abubakar Rasheed, spoke when the NYSC Director General, Brig.-Gen. Shuaibu Ibrahim, visited him at the commission’s headquarters in Abuja, the nation’s capital.

A statement in Abuja by the NYSC Director of Press and Public Relations, Adenike Adeyemi, regretted the challenges in vetting the certificates obtained from universities established by Nigerians outside the country.

The NUC chief said many universities produce quality graduates while some produce graduates who cannot defend their certificates.

He said the commission had not approved the degrees of some online universities operating in the country.

Rasheed added that the commission had approached the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) and the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission (ICPC) to shut down some illegal universities operating in Nigeria.

“NUC and NYSC must work together to help the country in producing quality graduates. The NUC will continue to certify the credibility of certificates obtained from Nigerian universities,” he said.

The NYSC DG said the scheme will not issue Certificate of National Service to unqualified graduates.

Continue Reading

NEWS

Eid-el-kabir: FG declares Monday, Tuesday public holidays

Published

on

The Federal Government has declared Monday 12th and Tuesday 13th August as Public Holidays to mark the 2019 Eid-Al-Kabir celebrations.

The Permanent Secretary, Ministry of Interior, Barr. Georgina Ehuriah, who made the declaration on behalf of the Federal Government, congratulated the Muslim faithful on the occasion .

She called on all Nigerians, at home and in diaspora, to use the period of this year’s Eid-Al-Kabir celebration to embrace the virtues of love, humility, peace and sacrifice as exemplified by the Holy Prophet Mohammed.

She urged Nigerians to shun any form of disruptive tendencies and join hands with the Federal Government to build a peaceful, strong and united Nigeria so as to achieve an enviable Next Level of growth and development.

According to a statement by Director (Press & Public Relations), Mohammed Manga, the Permanent Secretary reaffirmed the determination of the President Muhammadu Buhari led-administration to protect the lives and properties of Nigerians, adding that Security Agencies under the Ministry have been directed to ensure the provision of adequate security, before, during and after the Eid-Al-Kabir celebrations.

She restated government’s desire for all Nigerians to live a life of sacrifice, charity and love for one another.

Bar. Ehuriah wished Nigerians a happy, peaceful and fulfilling Eid-Al-Kabir celebrations.

Continue Reading

NEWS

N9.9b fraud: Court freezes Lagos accounts

Published

on

THE Federal High Court in Lagos on Tuesday ordered the freezing of three accounts belonging to the Lagos State Government over an alleged N9.9 billion fraud.

Justice Chuka Obiozor made the order following an ex-parte application by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC).

He ordered the accounts’ “suspension” pending conclusion of investigation and possible prosecution of the Permanent Secretary in the Office of the Chief of Staff to the Governor, Adewale Adesanya.

The accounts are domiciled in First City Monument Bank (numbered 5617984012), Access Bank (0060949275) and Zenith Bank (1011691254).

In a supporting affidavit, an EFCC investigator, Kungmi Daniel, said the commission discovered huge inflow of N9,927,714,443.29 from the state accounts into the FCMB account.

He said the account, operated by Adesanya, was opened last September 17 during the Akinwunmi Ambode administration.

According to the deponent, investigators found that Adesanya and other signatories made fraudulent transfers from the state’s accounts and dissipated the funds.

“The trend is that the account always witnessed huge inflow from Lagos State Government in the above scheduled accounts managed by the respondent (Adesanya).

“There have been concerted efforts and attempts to dissipate the contents of the accounts listed in the schedule to this application.

“Without freezing the nominated accounts and temporarily forfeiting the money to the Government of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, there is no way the fraud being perpetrated using the scheduled accounts can be stopped,” the EFCC said.

EFCC counsel Mohammed Abbas urged the court to grant the order temporarily attaching the accounts to enable it to conclude its investigations.

Justice Obiozor granted the prayers and adjourned till Friday.

Some legal sources wondered last night why the victim, the state government, is being made to suffer while those suspected to be involved in the matter are left untouched.

Continue Reading

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

Advertisement

ADVERTISEMENT

Registration for Makeup and Gele training is ongoing for the following categories: *Beginners to Professional Training (5 Weeks) *Advanced Classes (2 weeks) *Personal Training (2 weeks) For further enquiries, please Call or WhatsApp: 08034695299

IN THE NEWS